27 May 2024
Ontario Court of Appeal (23 May 2024)
R. v. B.R., 2024 ONCA 424 (CanLII)
Keywords: Soccer, Sexual Assault, Sexual Exploitation, Ontario
"At the time of the incident involving M.L., the appellant was 34 years old, whereas M.L. was 15 years old. The appellant had previously been M.L.’s English teacher and soccer coach. The charges stemmed from a meeting between the appellant and M.L. at a time when he was teaching at another school. There was no dispute that, in the spring of 2017, the appellant met M.L. at a shopping mall, drove her to a Starbucks, and then to his condominium”… Read More
28 May 2024
Fallon Hewitt, Hamilton Spectator
Interval House Hamilton leading education effort on gender-based violence
Keywords: Education, Masculinity, Violence Against Women, Locker Room Culture, ontario
“A Hamilton women’s shelter is spearheading a provincewide effort aimed at flipping the script on the kinds of conversations that happen in high school change rooms. Earlier this month, the Ontario government announced that Interval House of Hamilton had been given nearly $875,000 in funding to help certify more than 20 violence-against-women agencies across the province in the Coaching Boys into Men program. Those agencies will then work with their local school boards to train roughly 400 coaches and teachers to deliver the programming to students ages 12 and up through sports, according to a media release”… Read More
28 May 2024
Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario (23 May 2024)
K.K. v. Hockey Northwestern Ontario, 2024 HRTO 725 (CanLII)
Keywords: Ontario, Hockey, COVID, Creed
“This Application alleges discrimination with respect to goods, services and facilities because of creed contrary to the Human Rights Code, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, as amended (the “Code”). The Application was filed by the Litigation Guardian (the “applicant”) on behalf of their child (the “applicant child”). Specifically, the Application alleges that the applicant child was discriminated against in the enforcement of a vaccination policy which did not allow for an exemption due to the applicant child’s creed”…Read More
29 May 2024
Kendall Hanson, Chek News
Sex assault trial begins in Nanaimo for junior hockey league player
Keywords: Sexual Assault, Hockey, British Columbia
“A BC Supreme Court trial has begun at the Nanaimo courthouse for a junior hockey player accused of sexual assault. Kenneth Boychuk, who is now 19, was playing with the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League‘s (VIJHL) Nanaimo Buccaneers when he was accused of sexually assaulting a girl in her home”… Read More
30 May 2024
Karena Walter, The Standard (St. Catherines)
New ASL signs posted in St. Catharines parks
Keywords: Accessability, Inclusion, American Sign Language, Ontario
"St. Catharines is installing American Sign Language information throughout its parks after rolling out the signage at city recreational facilities last year. The signage depicts the ASL alphabet and common ASL signs and was launched at Lakeside Park in Port Dalhousie last week"...Read More
30 May 2024
Jason Malloy, Annapolis Valley Register
All girls’ team ready to play ball
Keywords: Baseball, Nova Scotia, Inclusion, Sex, Gender
"The first Annapolis Valley girls’ teams hit the field in 2023 with squads playing in Centreville and West Hants. This year, there’s two 14-andunder teams in West Hants and one in Kentville plus at least one under-12 squad. Zoe and Addisyn Garby both played on co-ed teams before deciding to play on the girls’ team when it was formed. They said being on a team with their friends was a big selling point"...Read More
30 May 2024
Tara Bradbury, The Telegram (St. John's)
Another Delay for Markus Hicks
Keywords: Volleyball, Coach, Sexual Assault, Sexual Exploitation, Child Luring, Newfoundland
"Accused sexual predator Markus Hicks is not yet ready to enter pleas to more of his charges, a provincial court judge heard Wednesday. Hicks’ lawyer, Jason Edwards, said he has received the disclosure in the case he’s been waiting for, but needs more time to review it with his client. Edwards asked for a three-week postponement. Hicks, 32, will return to court June 21. Edwards noted Hicks’ case isn't stalled: in April, Hicks entered not guilty pleas to most of his 150 charges of sexual violence, and has elected a trial by provincial court judge, which has been scheduled to begin at the end of the year. Hicks has yet to enter pleas to his most recent 63 charges, which were laid in March"...Read More